Monday 23 April 2007

Arctic Monkeys - Do Me A Favour


Sometimes, you get the odd song that feels, y'know, bespoke. Like you personally commissioned it to soundtrack a specific flavour of your life...

This is the sleeper track on the darker, smarter new album. 'Fluorescent Adolescent' may have the anthemic festival flush, and 'Brianstorm' is Blur's 'Charmless Man' written by someone funnier. But this is the one for me. Fatty.

See, that chiming guitar bit sounds like The Smiths because Arctic Monkeys are this generation's Smiths. Oh yes they are.

I know, I know. And there was you, thinking they were
the new Judas Priest...

Me? I feel the gummy breath of middle-age bristling my neck-hairs, but this still gets me good. If, however, your age has a 'teen' in it, then - sorry to break it to you - but it's no good rebelling against your parents any more. Their work is pretty much done. You're on your own from here. These four people will serve you well.

[MP3] Arctic Monkeys - Do Me A Favour

No comments: